Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sesame-Ginger Salmon


This weekend I stumbled upon an old cookbook my sister bought me while in University. As I did not cook like I do now (perhaps the occassional stirfry) and hence I can't say it was used much. The cookbook is called Good Mood Food by Michael Van Straten the author of Superfoods and Superjuices. The book is separated into chapters of recipes for vitality foods, brain foods, sleeping foods, wake-up foods, aphrodisiac foods, peace foods, macho and sensitive foods. It also provides herb, spice and recipe recommendations for common ailments in the index. As there is no doubt that the foods we eat play an integral part in how we feel it is a good book to have on hand or one of similar context.

Noting it has been bone chiling out this winter I thought I would share some Good Mood Food foods to help those with circulation problems out - basil, chives, coriander and sorrel all contain vitamins and phytochemicals which help stimulate circulation. Ginger and chilli have similar actions. Oily fish contain omega 3 fatty acids and nuts and seeds provide vitamin E - both essential for a healthy heart and circulation.

I do not have circulation problems per se, but reading this got me thinking that since the cold weather came I have not been eating my usual once per week salmon fillet. Since the cold set in I have migrated more towards hearty dishes be it vegetarian or red meat. It was time I get more fish in my diet again, so I decided to make a nice baked salmon with veggies. I mixed together this tangy sesame-ginger soy marinade. The results were delicious, the salmon cooked until moist and flaky. The sesame seeds not only provided a nice presentation but added a nice light crunch. I managed to get some oily fish, seeds and ginger all into one simple and delicious dish. I even added some cayenne which is also said to get the blood flowing.

1 lbs of atlantic salmon fillet
4 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
splash soy sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
pepper
pinch of cayenne
sesame seeds to sprinkly on top

Mix all in a small bowl and spread over salmon. Let sit on salmon in fridge for about 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450F and bake on a greased cookie sheet for 15 minutes until fish is opaque.

Serve over green beans.


Great Recipes

Blackened Salmon
Grilled Salmon Skewers
Grilled Salmon with Brown Sugar Mustard Glaze
Thai Curry Salmon

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

11 comments:

Kerri said...

So funny... I just bought salmon filets today. I was going to marinate in ginger, honey and soy... but I will try this instead.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

It's so fragrant when you use all of these flavors. I would love that salmon.

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

This looks delicious! It totally reminids me of summer too lol.

Christelle said...

I had a look before and starred this post in my RSS, so I thought it would be nice to leave you a message about it, I wanted to say that it's a great recipe, and that it will appear in my kitchen very sooon, thanks for sharing :)))

Kaitlin said...

Salmon with Asian ingredients is definitely the way to go - this sounds so yummy!

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Very interesting... I have never tried salmon with sesame seeds, sounds goooood :)

CookiePie said...

That looks really delicious - I love the flavor combo!! Thanks for visiting my blog, and for your kind good wishes!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It won't be long before we see fresh BC salmon in the stores again...roll on Spring!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Every year we go salmon fishing here in Vancouver Canada. I just can't get enough of it. It makes me happy lol.

Thistlemoon said...

I love salmon anyway you cook it (or don't). This looks delicious!

Lo said...

Mmm. Salmon.
And just in time for the cusp of asparagus season!

Related Posts with Thumbnails