Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Spicy Butternut Squash and Apple Soup


I have been pretty sick this week with my throat being so sore soup is/was all I could swallow. Luckily I had some homemade soups - broccoli and potato leek in the freezer. However, when those ran out I went to the store and bought some sort of vegetable and rice soup, as I had no energy to even consider making anything. I was quickly reminded that these soups are tasteless and infused with so much sodium I could feel my blood pressure rising. Today I found out I have strep throat and have been put on antibiotics...however I do have a bit more energy so I was determined to make more homemade soup. I posted this on Two For Tuesdays Blog Hop, check out the link and post your own recipes.

While sick I have had the opportunity to browse some of my favourite blogs and stumbled upon an event I have been meaning to participate in No Croutons Required hosted by Holler of Tinned Tomatoes. This months event is Hearty Vegetarian Soups. With all the soups I have been making and eating lately I felt like this event was made for me. It was also good timing that on Thanksgiving I was fortunate to have my dad give me a butternut squash and a jalapeno from his lavish garden, both perfect vegetables for soup. The squash certainly looked better than my poor pumpkin, which the squirrels have slowly carved into a Jack-O-Lantern. Verdict on the soup is that it turned out to be silky smooth in texture with spicy warm flavors, exactly what my throat needed.


Spicy Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

1 large butternut squash (about 3 cups of 1" cubed pieces)
1 T butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 carrots peeled and sliced
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup whipping cream 35%
1/3 cup parsley for garnish
pepper to taste

Prepare all vegetable first by peeling and chopping them.

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cayenne. Cook until onions are soft.

Add apples, carrots, squash and 3 cups of chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until vegetables are soft.

Transfer in batches to a blender and puree mixture. Once pureed return to pot and place on stove on low to med heat. Add cream and pepper. Adjust taste as desired.

Serve in bowls and top with parsley.



Try these great soups:

Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Potato Leek Soup
Roasted Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

23 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Scrumptious soup variety!!

Hope you feel 100% better soon!

Anonymous said...

I like the combination of spices you chose; I am definitely going to have to try that.

Lo said...

I've been contemplating a butternut squash soup this week -- and this is solidifying my aspirations. Very nice use of spices here! Hope they nipped that cold in the bud!

Lisa Turner said...

Thanks for this lovely entry. A very nourishing soup indeed!

alexandra's kitchen said...

my mother just made a sweet-potato and pear soup and was raving. this is totally the same idea as yours. sounds so delicious!

Peter M said...

Parker, keep on making homemade soups and you'll be to your healthy self in no time.

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

That sounds delicious!

Darius T. Williams said...

darn those squirrels - but the soup - now that's clever...espeically the addition of apple!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

test it comm said...

I like the soup of a butternut squash and apple soup. Hope you feel better soon!

Nic said...

Hope you are soon on the mend, the soup looks so good!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I hope you're feeling better these days or are at least on the mend. Soup will fix you up!!I forget about the squirrels since we don't really have them here. I remember my sister had them in her roof hibernating for the winter:D I would plant bulbs and wonder why they never came up in the Spring and they caused brownouts Ontario Hydro said.

Adam said...

Love the spicy squash soup Parker. I'm sorry to hear about the strep, but soup is a pretty good medicine :) Just take a break and stay warm. And have some soup with the banana bread.

RecipeGirl said...

I was just looking at a recipe sort of similar to this yesterday (without the spice)- I like your spice addition! FEEL BETTER :)

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Tracy, it sounds really good!! I love butternut squash.
I just brought huge beautiful pumpkin (almost like the one on your picture) home today and I wonder if I can use it to make something from it, instead of just destroying in for Halloween... ;)

Clumbsy Cookie said...

That's almost soup and pie and the same time! Lovely spices! Hope you're felling better now!

Anonymous said...

Nice seasonal recipe. Hope you get better soon!

Simply...Gluten-free said...

Sounds wonderful, hope you are feeling better.

Unknown said...

Lovely soup! I hope you are feeling better, I am sure this soup helped :)

Holler
Tinned Tomatoes
xx

Christelle said...

I love butternut squash, and I love your association with apple!

Jinx said...

I was just over at Lo's blog & clicked onto you....I posted a Butternut Squash Soup recipe as well1

'Tis the season, I suppose.

I'll have to try this one, I love jalapenos.

a moderate life said...

Hi Fitness Foodie and thanks for joining the two for tuesday recipe blog hop. Please put a link into your post back to the blog hop so others can join in the fun. Alex@amoderatelife

Heather S-G said...

Squash and apples are such a fabulous combo...together in soup is like heaven =)

Christy said...

I just started eating butternut squash last fall, this soup sounds perfect for fall! thanks for linking it to Two for Tues!

Related Posts with Thumbnails