Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Kiss me Muffin, It's Valentine's Day!


God forbid I ever call my husband muffin or vice versa. We have our fair share of nicknames and cheesiness – but names like muffin or pumpkin are really not us, unless we are in a mocking type of mood. In addition to no cheesy nicknames my husband and I are not much for desserts (I can hear the gasps and see the eyes rolling). That is not to say we do not have our indulgences, it just does not take the form of a slice of cake or wedge of pie. Rather we both enjoy savoury dishes with a well paired wine or beer. Of course as a women there are times when chocolate is my best friend, and I'd kill to get it. But generally speaking it is not something I eat. Consequently when it comes to Valentine’s Day chocolate or desserts are typically things we do not indulge in.

Instead of a dessert I decided to make something we could have as an afternoon snack that we could take with us while we checked out Ottawa’s Winterlude festivities. I decided on some simple banana-bran muffins (nothing says V-Day like bran :) ) to go with a thermos of coffee & Kahlua. What makes these banana muffins special is that they are sealed with a chocolate kiss. Yes Yes I know after that rant on no chocolate, I use chocolate to cook.

Banana Bran Muffins with a Kiss

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 bananas, mashed
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat bran
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a muffin pan or line with paper muffin liners.

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar together until fluffy. Add bananas, milk, vanilla and eggs; mix well. Stir in flour, bran, baking powder, soda and salt; blend just until moistened. Stir in walnuts. Pour batter into prepared muffin cups.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in the cups for 5 minutes, and then remove muffins and place on a wire rack to cool completely.

If using mini muffin pans, bake for 12 minutes or again until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.

It made 9 large muffins and 7-8 mini muffins (I filled them almost fill, usually best to fill 3/4 of the way). Could also cover the kiss entirely with more batter so it is a surprise kiss.



Happy St. Valentine's Day!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

13 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Looovely treat.

HAPPY V-DAY!!

Anonymous said...

Those are so cute!!

Happy V-day!

I am with you - maybe being diabetic sways me, but I am much more tempted to savory things - cheese and wine than I an with chocolate!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

What a great idea.

Happy Valentine Day!

Sara said...

Those muffins look amazing, hope you had a good day!

RecipeGirl said...

Well, I can't relate at all to the not-liking-desserts thing for sure!! I call my son pumpkin, but not hubby. These look delish- and fun for V-Day!

Lo said...

Mmm. These look great. And I'll bet they made a great afternoon snack for the Winterlude!

Alanna said...

Hey there! I had to stop by your blog after you commented on mine. I love it! I think we would get along well. :)

Can I ask where you got the "Currently Reading" widget on your blog? I am a huge book fan, so I would love to have something like that for my blog. :)

I will be back - great blog!

Unknown said...

Great muffins ‘muffin’… :) I can’t even say that in a joking manner…

I am actually having one right now with my coffee.

eatme_delicious said...

Ooo those bran muffins look good. Especially the tops.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh these are adorable! They look delicious. I have about 20 frozen bananas in my freezer calling my name.

PS: I've moved: www.alexandracooks.com

Nic said...

These look delicious, I love that you put the chocolate kiss into them, brilliant idea!

Coco Bean said...

kiss!!

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Sooo cute! I have never seen those "kisses" before.... banana and chocolate is always great combination :) I made Valentine cupcakes as well.

Enjoy your weekend, Margot

Related Posts with Thumbnails