Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, July 21, 2008

Roasted Shrimp and Orzo



This weekend I enjoyed a couple rounds of golf in the hot sun. I did not play very well, not that I ever break 100, but regardless it was a fun day. The 19th hole was spent on my parents patio where we enjoyed a great appetizer of multigrain crackers with herbed goat cheese spread and topped with hot red pepper jelly. This was followed by grilled salmon skewers served with a shrimp and orzo salad.
The salad was certainly the highlight of the meal. My mother found this recipe from the Barefoot Contessa, and has been the hit of many company gatherings. The fresh dill flavor is unbelievable, complimented with lemon juice, and feta. Not to mention larege roasted or grilled shrimps. You can eat the salad without the shrimp as well. Overall highly recommend trying this one out.

salt
olive oil
3/4 pound orzo pasta (2 cups)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
Freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds (16 to 18 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts
1 cup chopped fresh dill
1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
1/2 cup small-diced red onion
3/4 pound feta cheese, large diced

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Fill a large pot with water, add 1 T of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl.
Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well.

Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through.

Add the shrimp to the orzo and then add the scallions, dill, parsley, cucumber, onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss well. Add the feta and stir carefully.
Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight. If refrigerated, bring back to room temperature before serving.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

9 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Glad you had fun playing golf!! I used to play on my school's golf team, and it was definitely challenging, but still a good time :0)

Mmm, orzo pasta!

Peter M said...

Parker, you can teach me how to golf because I suck!

Your shrimp & orzo however does not suck and this would be good hot or cold.

Adam said...

Shrimp and orzo def look beautiful together. I like the flavor combo of the dill, parsley and lemon.

If I could have meals like that after hitting up a few holes, I'd be very inclined to take up golf :)

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

the orzo salad looks delicious! I love the recipies from barefoot contessa!

test it comm said...

That shrimp and orzo looks good!

Unknown said...

Well at least you didn't get a triple on a par 3, still scratching my head on that one. Oh well the meal made up for it.

Thistlemoon said...

Wow that shrimp looks gorgeous - I also love the sound of the goat cheese and hot pepper jelly on crackers! That is a sure winner! :)
You look cute in your golfing digs!

giz said...

Love this recipe - so easy and so pretty to look at.

Hey...you wanna feel good about yourself - golf with me - I break 100 in 9 holes - shoot me now.

Coffee and Vanilla said...

I love this salad, I have bag of orzo and I was wondering what to do with it, now I know :) Thank you!!
Margot

Related Posts with Thumbnails