Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, July 14, 2008

BBQ Beer Butt Chicken



I love cooking with wine or beer, as it dramatically enhances the flavor and moisture of meat. I have had my fair share of dried chicken, you know the kind where you almost chock trying to swallow eat bite, only to wash it down with a tasty beverage. Well this recipe will certainly avoid the need for that, as it is extremely moist. The flavor is excellent provided you use the right beer. I myself prefer using Kilkenny as it has a nice creamy bitter flavor that seems to infuse the meat nicely. As I like things spicy, I used once again a blackened rub on the outside of the chicken, but you could season it with anything (lemon and rosemary, bbq sauce...).

All you need is 1 whole 5 to 6 pound chicken, a large can of beer, 1 cup or so of blackening rub and some melted butter.

First clean the chicken (inside and out) and make sure that the can you are using will fit inside the bird and that when standing the bird up in the bbq it will not be too tall. I sometimes remove the grill on one side and place a baking pan inside so that the bird has enough room to sit with the top closed. The chicken is cooked using indirect heat, so the pan will be fine and not burn.

Now you can either take the entire top of the can of beer off using a can opener, or as I prefer you can make a number of holes in the top of the can (4) using a jus can opener. Pour about 1/4 to 1/2 of the beer out (recommend that you drink it). Then place the bird on the can.

Rub the blackening rub all over the bird.

Wrap the birds wings with tin foil so as not to burn his wings off.

Now preheat one side (the side opposite where the bird will be) to 400 F. Once heated place the beer butt chicken on the pan and cook for about 1.5 to 2 hours. The internal temp of a chicken should be 165F. You should rotate the chicken every 15 min to ensure even cooing. In addition, you may need to baste the outside of the bird with melted butter to make sure the outside stays moist.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

9 comments:

PG said...

Oh yum! I really want to try this technique because I always end up with dry chicken when I bbq pieces.

Peter M said...

Parker, this blackening rub of yours...I see you like it alot...must give it a go.

The Beer can stand...is that from Cdn. Tire?

Unknown said...

Probably one of my favorite meals to make and eat. Lots of flavour and the chicken is always moist. And cooking it is fun as you check it from time to time and start basting it after ~40mins and it does the rest. Until we have a smoker at the new house this as close as I can get to the same thing.

Fitness Foodie said...

Peter, the stand is from Canadian Tire. This was the first time using it and it is awesome, really holds the chicken in place well.
Yes I happen to like this rub alot :)

Adam said...

Never tried the chicken with a can up it's butt. I imagine he could be happier... but I'll be the happy one when I eat him.

Thistlemoon said...

There is nothing worse than dry chicken! I have always wanted to make chicken this way. I have eaten it prepared this way, but never done it myself!

Katie said...

What a great idea! I've never cooked with alcohol before, but there's a bottle of Tennessee whiskey in the back of the pantry that I've been considering...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaitlin said...

Let's try this again from the right account and with proper grammar:

Looks so good. This is one of my favourite methods, too. I'll have to try Kilkenny next time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails