Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Chicken Roti


Ever since I have been introduced to Caribbean Flavours in Ottawa, I have been addicted to rotis. I had never heard of a chicken roti until my co-worker, owner (her husband's restaurant) of Caribbean Flavours made me a chicken roti and I was hooked on the texture and well flavor of this dish. I knew that I would never be able to hold up to his authenticity and quality of cooking, but decided to try my luck at a roti. Rather than wrapping the chicken stew in a roti, the flatbread was served on the side to dip in this delicious chicken stew and served with mango chutney.

1 lb chicken breast, cubed
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large carrot, chopped
1 cup diced tomatoes, canned
3 T mango chutney
2 tsp fresh thyme
2 T mild or hot curry paste (Iprefer the hot)
1/2 tsp cumin ground
1/2 tsp ginger ground
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
1 granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
1 cup low fat coconut milk
19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 dashes hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste
'
In a food processor puree onion, garlic, carrot, thyme, 1 T chuntney, giner, salt and pepper. Place in a bowl. Add chicken and tomatoes. Marinate for 30 minutes.
'
Heat oil in skillet with curry paste, cumin and cook 1 minute. Add chicken mixture and chicken stock, apple and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
'
Add chickpeas and coconut milk and simmer for 10 minutes.
'
Serve with roti flatbread and mango chutney.
'
See following blogs for roti flatbread and mango chutney.
Makes approx 6 servings.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails