Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, September 29, 2008

Beef and Pepper Stirfry


The market in fall is so amazing with it bright and beautiful colors. One stand had rows and rows of large bright looking peppers in which I could not resist but buy a few. Loving colorful dishes I wanted to make simple dish that was delicious and appealing to the eye. Stirfry are typically quick, easy and healthy. In university I ate my fair share of stir frys and swore them off for a long long time. As it has been a few years since I've eaten them regularly and my culinary skills have certainly improved from the chicken stock and no flavor stir fry I thought I'd give it a chance. I was pleased with the tenderness of the beef, the flavors of the ginger and cinnamon really seeped in. And of course fresh market vegetables not over cooked but still crispy. I think I could get use eating stir frys again. Especially noting that there are many sauces and flavors that I now know can make each one a bit unique.



1 lb top sirloin grilling steak
2 T soy sauce
1 T cornstarch
2 cloves garlic minced
1 T minced gingerroot
pinch of cinnamon
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 cup broccoli
1 cup cremini mushrooms
1 onion (white)
1 T olive oil
1/4 cup beef stock
2 T hoisin sauce
1 tsp sesame oil

Slice the beef up into thin strips. In a bowl mix together the beef, soy sauce, cornstarch, garlic, ginger and cinnamon. Let stand for about 20 min in the fridge.

Cut up vegetables into long strips.

In a large skillet heat the olive oil over high heat and add the beef, cooking until browned. Add the peppers, broccoli and onions. Cook for a few minutes. Add a bit of water if necessary (if sticking). Then add the mushrooms and cook for 2 more minutes.

Add remaining ingredients - stock, hoisin sauce, sesame oil and simmer for a few minutes until vegetables are still hard (do not wan them wilted).

Serve as is, or over rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds for a nice presentation.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

8 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Such vivid, colorful peppers!!! Yum.

Peter M said...

Peppers are so damn good this time of the year. Grilled peppers are a good veg alternative too!

Adam said...

Great peppers, Parker. Ha say that 10 times fast :)

Stir frys are great, and I love how you used hosin sauce

Daziano said...

Hmmmm, nice and healthy!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is definietly a meal to try during the busy week Parker:D

PG said...

Wow - look at those colours! Note to self - go to the market this weekend.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Next year we are moving to Ottawa and can't wait to go back to the Market.

Anonymous said...

I usually have a hard time getting the flavors right in my stirfry dishes, but this looks really tasty. I like the ingredients you used, especially the mushrooms. The color of the peppers really makes this dish pop :). We would love to feature your recipe on our blog and the first and only digital recipe reader. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you're interested. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails