Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Stuffed Portobellos & Healthy Cooking





While reviewing some of my favorite foodie blogs, I stumbled upon a food event hosted by Fun and Food. This Healthy Cooking event seemed perfect for me as the basis was to create a healthy vegetarian recipe. Anyone who knows me, could tell you that I have a passion, sometimes obsession, with health and fitness. The majority, if not all of my meals are cooked using healthy foods & healthy methods. Although I am not a vegetarian, I do advocate eating less meat and more vegetarian meals for environmental and health reasons.

In fact I am currently reading a great book called In Defence of Food, by Micheal Pollen, which talks about the need to eat "real food" to be healthy. I must say I agree with his point of views and if I can add my two cents about health and health weight, I'd advocate eating more vegetables and fruits and what Pollen states as "real food" as oppose to substitutes like low-fat snacks (muffins, cakes, cookies, chips) and diet drinks. These types of food provide no health benefits, depsite any disclaimers made on their fancy packaging.

The vegetarian meal I decided to submit to this challenge was one that I have been wanting to make for a while - stuffed portobello mushrooms. However, the rain seemed to deter me again and again from putting these delicious stuffed portobello mushrooms on the grill. Alas, I decided not to let the rain deter me anymore.

Never having made or eaten a stuffed portabello mushroom before I was amazed at how great they were and what a hearty and healthy vegetarian meal they made. At only 26 calories per mushroom (not stuffed) and about 90 calories stuffed these were actually filling.

Ingredients

I decided to stuff the mushrooms with some of my favorite flavors tomato, garlic, green onions, rosemary, feta and zucchini. Tomatoes are a staple for me in the summer, as the local tomatoes are so flavorful and fresh. Not only are they delicious, but they contain lycopene known to be an anti-carcinogen. Studies have shown that lycopene can lower risk of certain cancers such as lung, pancreas and prostate. The other ingredients also provide their own set of health benefits. And buying organic eliminates any unhealthy chemicals.


Method
Before placing the mushrooms on the grill I brushed them with a light coat of olive oil & lemon juice. Grilling the mushrooms with a light coat of olive oil not only prevents them from sticking to the grill, but provides essential oils for the body. It is important to know that en if you are trying to lose or maintain weight health oils and fats are needed for proper body functioning.

These portabellos can be served as an appetizer, a side dish, or a main dish. I found 1-2 with whole wheat couscous or a spinach salad pretty filling.

1 medium tomato chopped
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup feta
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1 green onion, sliced
1/2 zuchinni diced
1 clove garlic minced
salt and pepper
4 portabello mushroom caps (stems and gills removed)
2 T fresh lemon juice
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp olive oil

In a small bowl combine the tomato, bread crumbs, feta, oil, rosemary, salt, pepper, green onion and garlic. Mix well.

In a small skillet cook the zuchinni over med-high until slightly soft. Add to tomato mixture and stir.

Once the mushrooms have been de-gilled and cleaned brush them with a mixture of oil, lemon juice and soy sauce.

On a med heat grill grill the mushroom caps stem side down for 5 min and then flip and grill other side for 4-5 min. Before the 5 min is up, scoop heaping amounts of the tomato mixture into the cap of the mushroom. Then close lid of bbq and grill for 3 mins, should be enough for cheese to melt.

Serve immediately as an entree with couscous, an appetizer or a side dish.

Serves 4.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

12 comments:

Unknown said...

The mushrooms made for a delicious meal and found that the stuffing could make a disj on its on, maybe mixed with couscous. Never thought that I would have ever eatn a portabello mushroom 'steak' and not only did I eat one I wanted more.

Fitness Foodie said...

Thank god I am not married to a man that will only eat buffalo wings!!! :)

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Looks great! Im always on the look out for new healthy recipes!

RecipeGirl said...

Looks terrific to me. I couldn't pass it off as a meal for my husband, but I would be terribly happy with it!

Thistlemoon said...

I totally agree with everything you said in this post! I am so happy to be learning about so many people out there that feel this way! It is a food revolution for sure! I love using portabellas, they are so tasty!

Mansi said...

ooh! I am so loving this tracy! it looks wonderful, and yes, definitely helathy!! thanks so much for participating girl:)

test it comm said...

Those stuffed mushrooms look really good. They sound nice and healthy.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These make a lovely barbecue meal Parker. I agree with the concept of eating "real" food. It doesn't have to take longer and the benefits are enormous:D

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

These look amazing, I absolutely love mushrooms!

sterling said...

Those look great! I made bruchetta stuffed portobello mushrooms a few weeks back, love the idea of zucchinis and feta :)

Vicarious Foodie said...

I'm trying to eat better lately, but I really love the junk food. It's hard, but bathing suit season is giving me the push I need.

eatme_delicious said...

Yum looks delicious! I don't know that it would be enough for a meal for me. Maybe if I added some grain (quinoa, barley, rice) to the filling.

Related Posts with Thumbnails