Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Rhubarb Loaf


What to do with all that rhubarb?

This is the first season I have a garden other than potted herbs. It is a great feeling to go outside pick fruits or vegetables growing in your own garden and use them to cook or bake. As my back yard has a lot of shade, I am limited in what I can grow. And anything that can grow is still subjected to the gluttonous squirrels, as well as the gophers and rabbits lurking nearby.

So far I have rhubarb, spinach, chives, oregano, rosemary, and basil that have survived. The squirrels have eaten one spinach plant and my coriander seeds again and again. My rhubarb plant is rather small considering it is in the shade, but it still made a wonderful tart tasting rhubarb loaf. I adapted the recipe found in the the Canadian Living magazine, it made one large loaf and about 9 mini muffins.

2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups chopped rhubarb
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)


In large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In separate bowl, blend sugar with oil; whisk in egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients along with rhubarb and walnuts just until flour is incorporated.

Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin tins, filling three-quarters full, or spoon into two greased loaf pan.

Bake in 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes for muffins, 15 min for mini muffins, 45 to 55 minutes for large loaf, or until cake tester inserted into centre comes out clean.

Let cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to let cool completely.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

3 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love anything with rhubard, I would eat you loaf with vanilla ice cream.

Kaitlin said...

Very cool! I always seem to rely on the classic strawberry/rhubarb combination, so it would be nice to try something different like this.

test it comm said...

Nice way to enjoy the rhubarb. I like the big chunks of the rhubarb in there!

Related Posts with Thumbnails