Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins




It has been over a month since I have been able to blog. I have been busy with the move into the new house, had no computer and also have been tending to injuries. I see I missed a ton of great blogs and new recipes while away and can't wait to catch up with your posts. Also in my absence I was surprised and very pleased to see some awards sent my way. Thank you so much to More Than Burnt Toast for awarding me with the Brilliant WebBlog award; La Cuisine d'Helene for awarding me with Kreativ Blogger award and Kimi from My Plate my World for awarding me with El Premio Arte y Pico. These awards are so appreciative, once I get my act together I will certainly be passing these on to others.

With respect to the move it went well. Thanks to the help of some friends we had everything moved into the place in one night. We have been enjoying sitting on the patio and watching the wildlife our backyard has to offer. Small little backyard, but home to rabbits, cardinals, blue jays, squirrels, raccoons... it is hard to remember you are living downtown with so many animals.

Of course other than the patio and backyard, I am loving the new kitchen. So much more room with loads of counterspace, double sink, gas stove. I also took out the new cuisinart stainless steel pot set that I have been storing for 2 years since my wedding. They just were not worthy of the apartment I was in. I will post some pics of the apartment vs home soon.

With my injuries I have not been able to type much or to cook much. However, I wanted to make some muffins for breakfast. My mother in law baked these for us and provided me with the recipe. They were so good and fresh tasting I had to make them again.

1 3/4 cups oats (quick cooking)
2 T packed brown sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbaking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup 1% milk or buttermilk
2 egg whites, slightly beaten
2 T vegetable oil
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a 12 med muffin cup tray with non stick spray.

Topping: Combine 1/4 cup oats and the brown sugar, set aside.

Muffin: combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. In a small bowl combine the milk, egg white, oil, lemon peel and vanilla. Mix well. Add to the dry ingredients, stir until moistened. Gently stir in blueberries. Fill the muffin cups almost full and sprinkle with topping.

Bake 20 mins. Remove from oven and let cook on wire rack for 5 minutes.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

8 comments:

giz said...

So glad the move went well - moving is a "bitch" and I'm doing it tomorrow - yikes!!!. Congrats on the awards and boo to the injuries.

Glad you're back and the muffins - just what I want this morning with absolutely nothing in my fridge.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Sound like the move went well. You will love living in your new home. Cooking up something homey like muffins is the perfect way to christen the new kitchen too:D

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

You've definitely been busy, so no worries about not blogging lately. I'm just glad that all is well, and that now you're back; and with scrumptious muffins, no less!! :0)

PG said...

Sorry to hear about the injury. Injuries suck. I hope you have a quick, full recovery.

Love the muffins - I was looking for a recipe like that. I'll have to mark in my reader.

Congrats on getting through the move. The kitchen sounds awesome.

Adam said...

Yeessss Parker is back! I'm glad you're finally all settled in and getting ready to rock. Moving is such a pain, but when it's over... it's mostly over :)

Your muffins look great. Way to break the house into your your cool cooking ways.

And don't worry you didn't miss too much, we've been holding down the fort and being awesome as per usual.

ICook4Fun said...

Its good to have you back again. Glad that the move went well. I remember moving from CA to PA 3 years and I still have unpack boxes at the basement. Wish someone can do it for me :)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Lovely muffins! I could go one right now! It sounds like the move went well. I hope you are happy in your new home :)

Kaitlin said...

Congrats on finishing your move and your wonderful new kitchen. Sorry to hear about your injury :(
These muffins are definitely a great way to kick off your new adventure.

Related Posts with Thumbnails