Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Mexican Omelette



The thought of mexican and eggs reminds me of my week in the Mayan Riveria. It was my first vacation at a resort. To me I could not see myself sitting on a beach for 7 days doing nothing but eating, drinking, tanning, and eating and drinking some more. What is a vacation without mountains to climb? But this was my honeymoon and for the first time in my 28 years on earth, I felt like I could use some real R&R, and thought this would be the place to do just that.

No regrets! This was a much needed relaxing vacation, which offered culture in the small nearby town of Playa Del Carmen, snorkling with sea turtles, beautiful views of the ocean and plenty of food to try.

The food was pretty good. Each morning I could not wait to wake up to fresh tropical fruits, topped with granola and freshly grated coconut; scrambled eggs; the best ever refried beans; cinammon french toast and mimosas. No I did not eat all of that each morning, but I certainly wanted to. However, I had to pace myself and keep room for the noon hour Mojitos.

Lately with the cold I had been dreaming of once again sitting on the beach in Mexico. These thoughts inspired me to cook with some simple mexican flavors. Not having much time, I thought I'd whip up a simple omelette with some simple mexican ingredients. This is a quick & easy mid week meal that allowed me to get home from work eat and take off to plans.

On another note the Bread Baking Day Round Up #8 has been posted on Wild Yeast site. Mine is one of 49 great entries.

2 large eggs
1T water
freshly ground pepper
2-3 white button mushrooms, quartered
1 T red onion, finely chopped
2" zuchinni, sliced
1/4 tomato, diced
1/8 avocado, diced
1/4 cup old cheddar or monterey jack cheese, shredded
2 T hot salsa
Whisk together the eggs, water and pepper.

Using an 8-inch nonstick (spray with non stick spray or use 1 T butter) skillet preheat to medium-high heat. Add onions, mushrooms and zuchinni; sauté for about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to medium bowl.

Respray the same skillet; heat over medium-high heat. Add egg mixture and cook until eggs are just set in center, tilting skillet and lifting edges of omelet with spatula to let uncooked portion flow underneath, about 4-5 minutes.

Pour the cooked vegetable mix over half of the omelette. Add diced tomatoes and avocado. Sprinkle cheese over veggie mix.

Using spatula, fold uncovered half of omelet over cheese and cook a few more mins until cheese is slightly melted.

Plate the omelette and serve with a few T of hot salsa and a side of refried beans.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Although the lack out mountains was a little hard to take, all that sun, relaxation, food and drink made the trip a lot of fun. Those breakfasts were probably the best meals of the day and I have to admit I did pretty much eat everything you mentioned each morning, but then again I do out weigh you by a little.

Omelet is such a great meal for supper; protein, veggies, heart healthy and a great way to have a quick meal before heading off to do more after an already busy day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails